Re: HTML documentation - one file per function

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: HTML documentation - one file per function
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 09:26:07 +0200

John Swensen wrote:

> On May 3, 2008, at 12:06 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>
>> lør, 03 05 2008 kl. 11:54 -0400, skrev John Swensen:
>>> Is there a way to process the docstrings so as to create one file per
>>> function?  I have started work on OctaveDE again and want to make a
>>> help browser.  I can simply use the existing HTML documentation, but
>>> would prefer to have it in the format of one HTML file per function.
>>> I would then try to work in cross referencing and the like.  Has
>>> someone already done this before?
>>
>> You mean like the Function Reference at the Octave-Forge web site,
>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/doc/index.html ?
>>
>> Søren
>>
> As a follow-on question, who is the wizard who wrote the code to parse
> all the DOCSTRINGS for Octave and Octave-forge into this HTML format?
It was written by at least 4 people that I know of, which is why its a
mix of m4, perl, python and Makefile magic. Cleaning it up into a single
language with some makefiles might be nice, particularly getting rid of
the m4 as that part of the build is slow. However, this is a low
priority as it works now.

> Do you know if there is way to convert the texinfo stuff to docbook?
> This would make the creation of the help browser with search
> capabilities infinitely easier.
As Ben said "makeinfo --docbook" will be the basic method. However,
there are some embedded "@if{tex,html,info}" sections in some of the
help strings and so to get docbook to build correctly maybe you'd need
one of the "--ifhtml", "--iftex", etc commands to makeinfo to get some
additional text to be included so that the help strings make sense. A
grep in doc/Makefile and doc/htdocs/Makefile for makeinfo will find the
bits of the Makefiles that'll need to be copied to a docbook target to
get this to work.

Regards
David

> John