Re: Initialization of load_path at startup

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Initialization of load_path at startup
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:51:57 -0400

On 14-May-2008, Kim Hansen wrote:

| On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:02 PM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
| > I am having a strange problem with the load_path while working on OctaveDE.
| >  Below I have listed the results of the path() command just after startup.
| >  I have been searching for how the load_path is initialized at startup and
| > cannot figure out how in the world that extra line is getting injected when
| > I start up octave_main from OctaveDE, and it is not happening when simply
| > running octave.
| >

| > First 3 lines of output of path() command in Octave when executed from
| > Octave.app
| > .
| > /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/site/m/startup

/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/libexec/octave/3.0.1/oct/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1

| > First 3 lines of output of path() command in Octave when running in
| > OctaveDE.app
| > .
| > ./Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/site/m
| > /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/site/m/startup
|
| I think this is the same bug as
| http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=477556, and I also
| think I have found a solution, patch is attached.

I applied this change.

Instead of sending bare diffs, it would help me if you can commit the
changes to your local hg archive, then export the changeset with "hg
export".

| I am not really sure why we start with "." in the xpath variable, as
| "." always is in path, I have just tried to fix the bug without
| creating a new one.

The idea was that there would be no special code to look for files in
the current directory, so "." must be in the internal list of
directories in the path.  The code that manipulates the path should
ensure that "." remains first in the path.  So "." has to be added
to the path somewhere.  Doesn't it make sense to start with that in
the intialization code?

Thanks,