Re: Graphics: Title and label properties

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Graphics: Title and label properties
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:18:41 +0200

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> How much of a subset will the "mid-level" parser support?  Just simple TeX
> constructs like subscript ('_'), superscript ('^'), and a few others?

Of course, we're talking here about the same set of TeX constructs that are
supported by the competition, which is only a subset of TeX syntax.

>  [Those aren't emoticons in the previous sentence.]  In some situations, it
> may be that the syntax simply gets passed on.  For example, if the end
> device is a LaTeX interpreter, the TeX commands shouldn't be interpretted.
>  That way a complete set of commands can be utilized.

Indeed, and nothing prevents a backend from doing it. In a text object,
you can still get access to the text string through the "string" property.

> Is there a distinction to make here about how "LaTeX sub-commands" are
> handled?  Is what you are referring to actually called "LaTeX command set"
> in the computer world?  Or is it just some loose standard that came about
> and now everyone uses?

The competition supports currently 3 text interpreter: none, tex and latex.
The latex interpreter is a special case as the competition uses an embedded
latex engine, supporting the complete latex commands. The tex interpreter
only supports a limited subset of commands (sub/super-scripts, symbols...),
but is usually enough for common situations.

What I'm talking about here is to address the tex interpreter (the 'none'
interpreter can be viewed as a special case where no interpretation is
made).

Michael.