Re: Easy Wavelet capability added to Octave core software

From: Marc Normandin
Subject: Re: Easy Wavelet capability added to Octave core software
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:24:45 -0400

PattiMichelle wrote:
> Marc Normandin wrote:
>> code, or the reputation of its authors.  I think all of these points
>> have significant merit: wavelets have garnered significant attention
>> across many disciples, WaveLab was developed and is still used despite
>> the existence of Matlab's wavelet toolbox, and the WaveLab developers
>> are prominent and highly respected in their field.
>>
>> However, one must keep in mind that these are not sufficient reasons for
>> inclusion in Octave.  Wavelets may be used often and by many, but
>> WaveLab is a large body of code to take on for functionality that many
>> (probably most) Octave users won't use.  IMHO, it would be better suited
>> as an add-on package from Octave-Forge.
>>
>> Licensing is a separate but perhaps more important issue.  WaveLab is
>> released as "freeware", but I couldn't to find any license for the
>> release.  The items I could find appear to have some elements of concern:
>>
>> To paraphrase Wavelab850/Documentation/COPYING.m, redistribution is
>> permitted but the original work must be included in its entirety and the
>> original authors retain copyright on all redistributions, whether
>> verbatim or modified works.
>>
>> And from the Introduction section of documentation available at
>> http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~wavelab/Wavelab_850/AboutWaveLab.pdf,
>> "The library is available free of charge over the Internet by WWW
>> access; instructions are given below. The material is, however,
>> copyrighted, so that advance permission is required for
>> any commercial use."
>>
>> I am not a lawyer, but these terms seem to conflict with Octave's
>> license, the GNU GPL.  Perhaps a "non-free" Octave-Forge package (like
>> Arpack and spline-gcvspl) would be be a possibility.
>>

>> I don't dispute the importance of wavelets, the quality of the WaveLab
>>> I've been trying to muck through WaveLabOnOctave, but I'm such an Octave
>>> noob - sometimes an Octave guru can do in 5 minutes what would take a
>>> noob a month (or more) to understand and implement.
>>>

>> I tinkered a bit with WavePath.m, the file that adds the WaveLab code to
>> your [Octave] path.  I made two changes: (1) eliminated the dependence
>> on the "matlabroot" variable by simply requiring that you run the script
>> from the WaveLab directory, and (2) removed some strange markup that
>> existed in the original file.  The modified WavePath.m is attached.
>>
>> Executing this file seems to successfully add all of the WaveLab stuff
>> to the Octave path on my machine.  I didn't try to compile the mex
>> files, but the documentation indicates that the functions should still
>> work, albeit more slowly.  An attempt to run one of the demos failed, it
>> seems that the demo is graphically based and incompatible with Octave
>> graphics (at least with the gnuplot backend that I'm using).  So the
>> demos may be unavailable to you, but the functions that actually perform
>> various analyses should be accessible.
>>
>> Does this help any?

> [...]

I ran the modified WaveLab.m in Octave 3.0.1 (Debian etch), but it
should work for Windows as well.  Please let me know if you run into any
problems with it.

Marc D. Normandin              http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~mdnorman
Graduate Research Assistant                     address@hidden
Indiana University School of Medicine           317-278-9841 (tel)
Department of Radiology, Division of Research   317-274-1067 (fax)