Re: axes limit calculations

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: axes limit calculations
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:33:44 -0400

On Thursday, August 28, 2008, at 07:54AM, "Shai Ayal" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 28, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Shai Ayal wrote:
>>

>>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, switching to fltk appears to work ... well  almost. The plot
>>> doesn't render properly.
>>>
>>> Can you elaborate on how it renders?
>>>

>> Perhaps a picture says it best?
>>
>> octave:30> close all
>> octave:31> backend('fltk')
>> octave:32> x = 0:10;
>> octave:33> plot(x)
>>
>> To underlying windows each contribute to the result in a rather strange
>> way. The resulting figure includes various sections of my email client, and
>> some things I don't recognize. In addition the following line is displayed
>> in the terminal.
>>
>> octave:34> ca=nan
>>
>> A picture is attached.
>

>This looks like an OpenGL and/or fltk problem. The best way to debug this
>would be to run the ftlk-opengl test programs gl_overlay and glpuzzle and
>see if they work. You should have them in the test subdir of the fltk
>sources. If you did not install fltk from source it's a problem :(
>
>Another possible solution: I know than on OSX, after compiling a fltk app,
>you should run
>
>ftlk-config --post application_exe_file
>
>on your application_exe_file. I am not sure what is the exe file here --
>octave or the fltk_backend.oct file. Maybe you should try both. Also, you
>can just look at fltk-config (it's a bash script)  and see what --post does
>(in my linux PC it does nothing)

I don't notice a change on my system either. As I'm using the aqua variant, I
issued the following commands ...

$ fltk-config.aqua --post octave
$ fltk-config.aqua --post fltk_backend.oct

Trying the simple plot again produced a result similar to before (different
garbage but otherwise the same).

I've got a full day and don't have time to dig deeper right not. I hope to have
some time this evening or over the weekend. When I have a moment, I'll try the
test programs again and report back.

Ben

octave:1> backend('fltk')
octave:2> x = 0:10;
octave:3> plot(x)
octave:4> close all
octave:5> backend('gnuplot')
octave:6> quit
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'
  what():  basic_string::_S_create
panic: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...