Re: classdef support for octave

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: classdef support for octave
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:36:04 +0200

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> How does dispatch work for the classdef classes?  Where does it fit
> in with the current order for symbol lookups?

Dispatching and symbol lookup works more or less the same
as the old OO system, based on the arguments and the inferior
relationship between them. But there are things that make it
slightly more complex:
- access modifiers: public/protected/private
- methods can be in separate file or in class definition file or
in both (declared in the classdef file and implemented in a
separate file)
- package scoping and package import list

For now, I think that I'll continue to develop the draft code I sent
yesterday; with some modifications, I'm confident it could be
hooked up in the current symbol table code without too much
effort. Basically, wherever you look for a class constructor or
class method, you could first check with the new OO code,
then with the old OO code. However, now it's easier for me to
keep the code separate.

Michael.