SQL like question.

From: Levente Torok
Subject: SQL like question.
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 19:55:45 +0200

Hi All,

Last time Jaroslav helped me a lot with a little trick but this time I am a
little bit jammed.

I would like to get solved a simple thing again and I cannot find a fast
solution to it.

I have a matrix as
m = [
1 2;
1 1;
2 3;
2 4 ];

I would like to make a unique of its first column but I would like to have the
minimum of second column nearby.
So it would look like:
[ 1 1;
  2 3 ]

This is something like SELECT first_col, min(second_col) FROM m GROUP BY
first_col;

If I can be sure that the second nargout of unique() always points always to
the last index of the same
selector item then the solution would be something like:

m = sort( m, 'descend' );
[u,i,j] = unique( m(:,1) );
m(i,:)

but
1) can I be sure about it?
2) what if I would want to make aggregate functions such as avg()  or var()

Thanks a lot,

Levente

--
Blogger of http://fapuma.blogspot.com