No FTGL, says configure script?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: No FTGL, says configure script?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:35:55 -0400

On 22-Oct-2008, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| This is a little odd. I think it might be a bug in the configure script?
|
| I see at the end,
|
|     configure: WARNING: "FTGL headers not found. Native renderer will
|     not have on-screen text"
|
| And further up, I see,
|
|     checking FTGL/ftgl.h usability... no
|     checking FTGL/ftgl.h presence... no
|     checking for FTGL/ftgl.h... no
|     checking FTGL/FTGL.h usability... no
|     checking FTGL/FTGL.h presence... no
|     checking for FTGL/FTGL.h... no
|     checking FTGL.h usability... no
|     checking FTGL.h presence... no
|     checking for FTGL.h... no
|     checking for FTGL/FTGL.h... (cached) no
|     checking for FTGL.h... (cached) no
|     configure: WARNING: "FTGL headers not found. Native renderer will
|     not have on-screen text"
|
| (full output of configure as well as config.log attached).
|
| However,
|
|     address@hidden:~$ ll /usr/include/FTGL/ftgl.h
|     -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.2K 2008-06-16 09:38 /usr/include/FTGL/ftgl.h
|
| What's going on? Is this part of the reason why the native GL graphics
| of Octave don't have FreeType fonts, or a bug in configure.in? Or
| something else?

Please take a look at this thread:

http://www.nabble.com/Problems-with-FTGL-building-octave-3.1.51-to19046720.html#a19053823

and see if it helps.  I don't consider it to be a bug in Octave's
configure script.  I think it is something that shoudl be fixed in the
way the freetype header files are written and installed.