More debug information

From: John Swensen
Subject: More debug information
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:09:06 -0400

Is there anyway to make Octave warnings more verbose, or to make a debugger like GDB break on warnings also. As I am working with the OpenGL rendering and text objects, I am getting a warning and I cannot find where the source is. When using the Gnuplot backend the warning does not appear.

octave:2> text(0,0,"ABCD")
octave:3> error: octave_base_value::convert_to_str_internal (): wrong type argument `struct'
warning: opengl_renderer: cannot render object of type `text'

I have tried tracing the entire call path from when a text object is created, but I can't figure out where the error message is coming from, other than recognizing it is probably somewhere where string_value() is called. How do the octave maintainer experts find where errors like this occur?

John Swensen