Re: Changing package file extension

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Changing package file extension
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:21:37 +0100

Søren Hauberg schrieb:
Hi,
  Every once in a while (like just a second ago), we get users that
can't figure out how to install packages. Basically, they start out by
extracting the file. I'm guessing they do this because either they
always do that to .tar.gz, or because their browser suggest that they do
this during download. After they've extracted the package, they either
have a .tar file or a directory, and they can't install that with 'pkg'.
  So, perhaps it would be a good idea to change the file extension of
packages? I mean, a file should be named

  image-1.0.6.octpkg

(or something similar) instead of

  image-1.0.6.tar.gz

Any thoughts?

What about keeping *.3 characters and say eg.
  image-1.0.6.opf
for 'Octave Package Format'? Just a quick thought.

  Thomas