Re: Graphical help browser

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Graphical help browser
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:49:03 +0100

man, 24 11 2008 kl. 14:34 -0500, skrev John Swensen:
> On a somewhat related note, do you know if the current
> implementation
> of the 'doc' function allows us to insert a different handler for doc
> requests?  Just like there can be a different pager, or different
> graphics backend, doesn't it make sense to allow different document
> viewers to be plugged in?

It only allows you to change which program is used to view 'info' files.
However, 'doc' is implemented in a very simple m-file, so it shouldn't
be hard to make such a change.

> Also, I really like your package for generating the HTML pages.  A
> while ago I had attempted to modify the document generating process to
> get rid of all the Sourceforge headers and such, but couldn't get it
> to work.

Yeah, the code at Octave-Forge for generating HTML pages is a mess. It's
written in several languages, and I actually don't think anybody fully
understands what it does. Having a cleaner piece of code for generating
HTML was actually my motivation for rewriting the help system as
m-files.

Søren