Re: GUI work

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: GUI work
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 08:51:09 -0700

John Swensen wrote:

On Nov 25, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

On 11/25/08 address@hidden wrote:

It seems you have something that is fairly functional. It has been a long time since I used Matlab's IDE, but I remember it was helpful to use items 2-3, which you say are 100% complete. Would you mind making a version release on the project's sourceforge site? I am capable of downloading the cvs/svn code, but I bet you will see a bit more use, testing, and feedback if you make a release.

Jonathan

I took your suggestion and made a source code release on Sourceforge. https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=176034&package_id=202369&release_id=644740 I marked it at version 0.2, since the version included in the 3.0.1 Windows release was marked 0.1. Since I took the time to get 'make dist' working, it should be easier to make source code releases in the future. This version has the ability to compile in my simple help browser. The following configure options are relevant:

--with-octave300        This is for 3.0.x versions of Octave
--without-octave300    (default) This is for recent Mercurial snapshots

--with-webkit (default) This compiles in the webkit based help browser (also requires Xapian)
--without-webkit        This doesn't compile in the help browser.

I am not an autotools wizard, so I couldn't figure out how to do a pkg-config check that is platform dependent. For some reason on Ubuntu, the webkit pkgconfig is different that other Linux and OSX platforms I have worked on. Help would be appreciated.

John Swensen

I gave it a quick try. It compiled OK on my Mac OS X (10.4.11), but without the webkit since I couldn't resolve the dependency at the moment. Interestingly, I got this error on make install (last 4 lines):

/opt/local/bin/ginstall: omitting directory `./ui'
make[2]: *** [install-dist_dataDATA] Error 1
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

However, it seems that at least the important parts were installed and I could run it. It looks nice to me, and I executed a few commands, including from the command history window.

I occasionally got a few gtk-warnings in my command window. Is this normal? Anyway to turn off these warnings or dump them elsewhere? Also, if I closed octavede by menu quit or window close, it hung or crashed octave. Typing exit in the command window worked fine.

Regards,
Jonathan