Re: the competition's expm vs ours

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: the competition's expm vs ours
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 20:55:33 +0100

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  9-Dec-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | I don't basically object, but is it a good idea to tailor coding style
> | specifically for Emacs?
>
> Using ## for comments that are indented to the code level is the
> coding style, with or without Emacs.  But it definitely simplifies
> deciding how to indent comments in the Emacs mode depending on whether
> they begin with one, two, or three comment characters.

OK. I think it should be mentioned in contrib.txi.

> | Not everyone uses Emacs (I use ViM). Using ## for comments is OK, I'm
> | more annoyed by those weird trailing lisp-like comment blocks in C++
> | sources. I always thought Emacs was even better customizable than ViM,
> | so can't such settings be configured in Emacs configuration files?
>
> Yes, but then the customizations for the files depend on users
> individual settings.

Which is good, isn't it?

> We can delete those if people would prefer to
> not have them in the source files.

I think it's weird, that's all. By the same logic, we could be adding
settings for a dozen of other editors. Is it maybe possible to make
the emacs settings per-directory using special files?

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert