Re: the competition's expm vs ours

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: the competition's expm vs ours
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:45:33 -0600

2008/12/10 Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden>:

> Just to clarify: what is the recommended use of #, ##, ###?

Well, if you used Emacs's Octave mode to edit your m-files, you would know. :-)

I'll summarise: # is for comments that have to be aligned at the right
of the code, ## is for comments that have to be indented at code
level, and ### is for comments that should not be indented at all
(e.g. the docstrings). You can of course use % instead of # because
Matlab is a rebel like that, using a comment character for scripts
that no other scripting language uses.

The number of characters makes sense, because it sort of says how far
to the left the comment should go. # - left, ## - lefter, ### -
leftest.

I don't think it's such a big deal that most comments take two
characters; comments in C++ also take at least two characters.

As for setting variables directory-wide for Emacs, that can certainly
be done too, but it's not in Emacs main yet:

     http://www.loveshack.ukfsn.org/emacs/dir-locals.el

I suppose there's your explanation. Octave doesn't use directory-wide
Emacs variables because no one had coded Emacs to do that until
recently. Thankfully, every useful feature you can think of, has
probably already found its way into Emacs, or else will do so soon.
:-)

(Yes, I am the kind of person that is sorry that the function M-x
praise-be-unto-emacs got removed from Emacs.)

- Jordi G. H.