Re: The future of my involvement with the Octave project

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: The future of my involvement with the Octave project
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:54:07 -0700

On 26-Oct-2008, address@hidden wrote:

|   Now a silly question: will gifts made with the "funding" page of Octave
| (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/funding.html) be affected to Octave
| development after Nov. 30th?

Yes, you can still use the UW Foundation page.  The funds will go to
an account of my former supervisor (who worked to secure nearly all
the funding for my work on Octave for the last 16 years) and he said
he will try to get the funding to me by way of some kind of consulting
arrangement.  But I'm not sure whether the university will charge
overhead on that, or what the rate would be if they do.  If it matters
to anyone, I can inquire.

I agree with others who posted in this thread that it might be good to
set up some kind of Octave Foundation that could be used to catch
donations.  With that we could do some things like public donor
recognition that the UW Foundation would not allow us to do.

I could also maybe make a PayPal tip jar available if people just
wanted to throw money directly at me.  :-)