Re: Linking problems with mutex and zsyrk_

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Linking problems with mutex and zsyrk_
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 02:17:49 -0600

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 15-Dec-2008, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| The list of functions missing during linking is growing.  Now there are
eight LAPACK routines (zggev, dsygv, etc.) associated with a file EIG.cc
that liboctave.so requires.

Yes, we should fix this, but does your system not have an accelerated
BLAS+LAPACK library like ATLAS available?

It had the BLAS but not LAPACK library.  After Jarkko's change to check for
these libraries, the result is still a little arcane:

make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/octave-hg/octave/libcruft/fftpack'
make -C lapack all
make[3]: Entering directory
`/usr/local/src/octave-hg/octave/libcruft/lapack'
Makefile:30: *** commands commence before first target.  Stop.

but at least there is a hint there that lapack might be missing.

Sorry that was my fault. An escaped newline made the makefile invalid.
If you wish, please try again this
configuration (only BLAS, no LAPACK) - it should work with this patch:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/7f6efc2b75d9

In fact BLAS is the more important piece - what you usually get
installed as lapack package from a distro is exactly what Octave
compiles for itself.

The LAPACK routines are in in the Octave tree?  How are the routines kept in
synch with the main repository in case there are bug fixes there?

Dan