Re: Writing 'help' functions as m-files

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Writing 'help' functions as m-files
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:30:57 -0500

On 22-Jan-2009, Soren Hauberg wrote:

| I haven't worked on this since then as I was unsure if the change (which
| is fairly large) would be accepted at all.

OK, sorry for the long delay.  Made a few additional changes:

  move the which command to an m-file
  eliminate the private directory for now
  display location of file in help message as before
  append additional help info to print_usage message
  misc style changes
  more complete changelog entry

and checked it in.  The changeset is here:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f134925a1cfa

One thing I noticed is that lookfor prints syntax error message if
there are syntax errors in functions in the load-path.  I think we
need to find some way to avoid doing that.  Can it be done with a
try/catch block or do we need something else?

Is there more to do?  I remember some discussion about cache files and
needing to generate those when Octave is installed.  Am I remembering
correctly?  Can you do that, or explain what needs to be done?

Thanks,