Re: patching the stable branch (was: Re: Octave 3.1.52 available for ftp

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: Re: patching the stable branch (was: Re: Octave 3.1.52 available for ftp)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:20:39 +0100

* Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> [2009-02-13 10:56]:

> I'm saying this, without knowing anything about anything, so feel free
> to consider this pure bullshit...

Yes, it is sort of bullshit :-) In other words, don't push more work on us!

> If the DOG is doing this kind of work, why can't you guys just be the
> release managers for the stable series? It just sounds like there is a
> large overlap between maintaining the stable branch and maintaining
> Octave in a distribution.

Yes, the overlap is non negligible but I think they are two fundamentally
different tasks.  The DOG mission is to make the Octave-related Debian
packages [1] "bug free", in the sense that we take care of the bug reports
filed against the packages through our BTS [2].  Nearly all fixes in the
packages are contributed upstream, though.  Another important task of the
DOG is the global integration of all Octave-related packages (e.g. from
Octave-Forge).

This is very different from maintaining the stable branch of Octave, which
imply hanging on the mailing lists, going through the bug reports in
address@hidden, coping with the proposed changesets, and preparing the
actual release tarballs.

(Not so) unrelated to the discussion in this thread: without a ticketing
system for managing bug reports, feature requests, and patches it will be
quite to do a coordinate development effort.

[1] http://qa.debian.org/address@hidden
[2]
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=pkg-octave-devel%40lists.alioth.debian.org

--