gnuplot, figure.position, & the moving window

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: gnuplot, figure.position, & the moving window
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:47:41 -0500

Presently the developers sources uses gnuplot 4.3 to set the position and size of the x11 figure window (as specified by the figure position property).

One side effect is that both octave and gnuplot are unaware of changes in the figure window's position or size made by mouse actions. As a result the current implementation returns the figure to the location and size specified by the figure's position property when the figure is updated (again this only happens with gnuplot 4.3).

To solve this properly the gnuplot backend needs ...

(1) To know the "position" property when gnuplot_drawnow was called last.

(2) Needs mouse movements of the figure to trigger a listener (this is impractical for the gnuplot backend).

(3) Needs to be able to determine the location/size of the figure window on the screen.

The attached changeset is intended to address (1). Eventually the gnuplot backend can adopt the solution what I expect will emerge for the fltk backend. For the time being I'm using a hidden axis to hold the prior state of the figure position.

For the upcoming 3.2 release, I'd like to either include this change, introduce one with equivalent functionality or modify __gnuplot_has_feature__ so as to suppress the unexpected movement of the figure window.

Ben