after 3.2

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: after 3.2
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:55:43 -0400

Here's a list of possible projects for after 3.2.

I've tagged completed items with an "X" and items for which some work
has been done with an "+".

  * Namespace(s) for Octave sources.

  * Objects:
      - Operator overloading vs. constant folding
      - Overloading built-in classes (double, etc.)

  * Profiler.

  * Nested functions.

  * Graphics:
      + Fonts and text objects
      + Refactor base_properties
      + Specific types for properties with improved property value
        checking
      + Implement the addprops function allow additional properties
        to objects
      + add the hggroup object that has no fixed properties for use
        by barseries, etc.
      + Add callback DeleteFcn/CreateFcn to objects
      + Allow listener functions to be added to objects
      + Clean separation of backend from property database
      + Implement experimental backend based on OpenGL and GUI
        toolkit

  * Avoid segfault problem when clearing dynamically linked functions
    that create user-defined types.

  * Move code to external packages
      - optimization?
      - signal?
      - statistics?

  * Handle block comments inside [] or {} and also in the group of
    comments following a continuation character, etc.  See the FIXME
    comments in lex.l.

  + Mixed sparse x diagonal matrix operations (may be included in 3.2).

  * Use templates instead of macros where possible.

  * Update the configure script and make checks for header files and
    libraries more consistent (maybe we could recruit an autoconf
    expert to help with this job).

  * Rewrite Makefiles to avoid recursive make (see
    http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/ for some ideas).

For me, the first six items above have a fairly high priority.
Especially graphics and the profiler.

If you have comments, suggestions, or additions, please send them to
me or to the list for discussion, and I'll update the list and
repost.

At this point, it can be something of a wish list, but the items
should be things that we have some chance of implementing before the
next release (after 3.2).  By the time we make the 3.2 release, we
should have this list narrowed down to maybe the top 10 items as
prioity projects.  I'd still like to see us reduce the interval
between stable releases to something like 6-9 months, so I think doing
that will require focusing on a smaller list of projects for each
release, then making the release and moving on instead of allowing the
list of projects to continually expand (this is something I need to
work on as much as anyone else).