Re: warning: suggest parenthesis around assignment used as truth value

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: warning: suggest parenthesis around assignment used as truth value
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:33:22 +0800

On Mar 13, 2009, at 10:20 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 13-Mar-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Mar 13, 2009, at 3:38 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| > On 13-Mar-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:
| >
| > | On Mar 13, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Rob Mahurin wrote:
| > |

| > value

| > The intent of the Octave warning is the same as the GCC warning. In
| > what case is it emitted incorrectly?
| >
| > | Your examples do give me some additional context for what is imlied.
| > | Unfortunately, I've searched my sources and don't see such an
| > instance
| > | in my if/elseif statments. Further when I convert warnings to errors
| > | ("warning error"), I get what looks like a parser error.
| >
| > Using "warning error" will likely generate a lot of unwanted errors | > from code that is distributed with Octave. We should probably limit
| > these warnings to code that is not part of Octave itself.
| >
| > jwe
|
| I'm still getting the original warning. Can anyone recommend what I
| might do to determine the respective file and line number which is
| responsible?

I should have a change checked in shortly that will give you a line
number and a filename for this parser warning.  I've also checked in
another change that should make

 warning on backtrace

work again.  But that is no help here, since the warning you are
seeing is emitted when Octave is parsing an expression, not when it is
evaluating it.

jwe

Great! ... I'll delay my frustrations of looking for this until later ;-)

Thanks
Ben