Re: after 3.2

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: Re: after 3.2
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:48:42 +0100

* Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> [2009-03-15 12:51]:

> As for the distro users, it's just a question of how often they can
> make package updates. My impression is that most distros (e.g. Debian)
> have a fairly sophisticated auto-building systems, so that updating a
> binary package, say (a wild guess), once per month is not a big deal.
> Perhaps the package maintainers visiting this list can comment.

I am not sure to understand what you are meaning exactly, but:

Preparation of a new release of a package and autobuilding a package are
two unrelated things, at least in Debian.  The first one is the acual
hard work: each time a new version of Octave is release, the package
maintainer (the DOG in our case) has to prepare the appropriate Debian
packaging files.  Sometimes this work is trivial but most of the time it
is not.  Once the new version of the package is uploaded, then the
autobuilders start building it for each architecture.

In other words, the sophisticated auto-building system of Debian cannot
magically update the package every time a new upstream version is
released.

I apologize if my response above is unrelated to what you were meaning.

--
Rafael