Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:36:27 -0400

On 23-Mar-2009, Pedro L. Lucas wrote:

| Hi, I have written a xml interface for Octave. Then, you can insert
| commands in xml format and results are returned in xml format. IDEs
| can use this interface. Example: IDE can write:
| <octave>
| <command>2+2</command>
| <ide>2+2</ide>
| </octave>
| the xml interface, then, returns:
| <octave>
| <command>ans = 4
| </command>
| <ide>ans = 4
| </ide>
| </octave>
|
| Using xml tags you can build several pipes for IDE commands.
|
| But I have next problem:
|
| I can not see plots. If you send: "<command>sombrero(20)</command>",
| xml interface returns: "<command></command>".
|
| To execute commands, I'm using this function, from 'octave.cc':

|       eval_string (code, false, parse_status, 0);

We've discussed a number of times that eval_string is not the best way
to handle a fully interactive Octave session because it can't handle
partial commands.  Or has that changed in some way that I don't
remember, so that eval_string can properly process things like

  "if (some_condition)"
  "  do_something ();"
  "else"
  "  do_something_else ();"