Re: 3D patches

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: 3D patches
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:31:21 -0400

On Mar 25, 2009, at 2:17 AM, David Bateman wrote:

Ben Abbott wrote:

On Mar 24, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

This appears to result for a 3D view of 2D patches. Actually the gnuplot "patch" is a filled curve, and may only be viewed in 2D.

So the current fix is to either delete the filled contour, or to delete the 3D surface.

The preferred solution (I think) would be to implement patches using the a 3D surface rather than the 2D filled curve.

There was a closely related discussion on another thread, I've cc'd Martin and David.

https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009-March/011289.html

Should this be moved to the maintainers list?

Ben

I've moved it to the maintainers list.

Ben

What is being discussed in this other thread is only triangular 3D patches as anything else in gnuplot is currently not easy to do. This is enough for the iso* functions and the trisurf function. However contourf needs to have arbitrary patches, so this won't help

D.

Ok. That part has slipped past me.

Regarding the current need for a general 3D patch with a planar constraint (i.e. a rotated 2D geometry), does anyone have an idea for how such a patch may be rendered using gnuplot?

Ben