Re: units conversion (was: about contibuting to octave)

From: xianghang liu
Subject: Re: units conversion (was: about contibuting to octave)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:30:10 +0800

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 4:44 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 13-Mar-2009, Shai Ayal wrote:

| Your code, if I understand correctly, uses pdfLaTeX to render the
| string. While this seems the ultimate solution (pdfLaTeX is a very
| good LaTeX renderer), it poses a bit of a problem in the context of
| the whole octave/backend paradigm:
| 1 If we put this code in the backend, than octave cannot compute text extents.
| 2 If we put this code in octave, than we have rendering in octave --
| i.e. octave will produce bitmaps
|
| maybe we should just go with the second choice and let octave produce
| bitmaps for text objects with renderer=LaTeX
|
| Another choice could be to split the text renderer from the general
| renderer, so we would have 2 types of backends: a graphics backend and
| a text backend, where the text backend would produce extents for
| octave and bitmaps for the graphics backend

We might want to borrow something from matplotlib, which currently has
a simplified TeX equation parser that uses the actual TeX algorithm
for glyph placement.  See the file

 http://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/matplotlib/trunk/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/mathtext.py

As I understand it, they also allow full (pdf?)latex parsing so that
you can embed arbitrarily complex TeX blobs in the graphs if that's
what you want to do.

I also see that matplotlib comes with its own set of font metric files
and some .ttf font files.

jwe

I have attached the code that calculate the bounding box of a text object with FreeType2 API. It can parse simple TeX strings and is borrowed from the Java code of Micheal in jhandles.
1. Shall we implement a TeX parser as the parser in matplot?
    If so, we might need to use tools such as yacc.
2. Shall we implement the mapping from font properties(name, italic,...) to the path of fontfile on different platforms as FontManager in matplot?
In my opinion this might be necessary.
--
Xianghang Liu