version number in mercurial

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: version number in mercurial
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:29:08 +0200

After several failed attempts I finally managed to build sources fron
the savannah repository (pulled this morning) on my macbook with OSX 10.5.7.

When running the newly built binary I noticed that the version is still set to 3.1.55 and I was wondering whether, given that 3.2.0 is now out, this shold rather be 3.3.x or 3.2.1 or anything else > 3.2.0?

Sorry if this is a silly question, it's just that I am curios about how the version numbering works...
c.

P.S. My build was done using gcc4.2 from Xtools and g95 and all other dependencies from fink, all attempts to use gcc4.3 or 4.4 and gfortran failed for me, has anyone managed to build octave with gfortran on OSX?