Proposal for built in tests.

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Proposal for built in tests.
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:41:16 -0700

In a recent email exchange John suggested that it would be nice for someone to move tests from the test directory to the files that the tests are being tested.

I have started to do this, but would like to make a proposal. There are pros and cons, so it isn't clear that my approach is any better but it does simplify some aspects of creating tests.

The problem:

Including tests in .cc files will cause those files and everything that depends on them to be made. This can take a really long time.

The proposal.

For .cc (and other compiled files), why not create a file with the same base but with a .test extension? Thus ov-class.cc will have a file called ov-class.test that contains the tests.

If this seems like a good idea, I will make the necessary changes to fntest.m. Since there are already embedded tests I won't break that. If this isn't a good idea, I will forget about it.

Bob