Re: [changeset] GraphicsMagick++ configuration

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: [changeset] GraphicsMagick++ configuration
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:40:15 +0200

https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009-July/012879.html

| > So I don't think I can put it back without breaking __magick_read__
| > again, at least for me and other Debian users.
| >
| > What are -Wl,-z,relro and -pie doing in the ldflags anyway?  Are those
| > arguments not present on your system?  Maybe they are present on mine
| > because of the way Debian builds the graphics magick library package?
| > Perhaps these flags make sense for creating the graphics magick
| > library itself, but I can't see any reason for them to be required to
| > link the graphics magick library with __magick_read__.oct.
| >
| > jwe
| > | So that's why --ldflags was taken away! I don't have that problem. This | is the output from my config (where I'm building): | | $ | octave-patching/dependencies/graphicsmagick-install/bin/GraphicsMagick++-config | --ldflags --libs | -L/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/graphicsmagick-install/lib | -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib | -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick -llcms -ltiff -lfreetype -ljasper | -ljpeg -lpng -lwmflite -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lbz2 -lxml2 -lz -lm | -lgomp -lpthread | | My ubuntu 9.04 box says this about the managed package (haven't tried | building against it):
| address@hidden:~$ GraphicsMagick++-config --ldflags --libs
| -L/usr/lib -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -L/usr/lib/X11 -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib
| -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick -llcms -ltiff -lfreetype -ljasper | -ljpeg -lpng -lwmflite -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lbz2 -lxml2 -lz -lm | -lpthread

So what should we do about this?  I suppose we could try working
around it by filtering out everything except -L options from the
--ldflags output, but I'd rather see it fixed in graphics magick.
What should graphics magick really be storing in the config script
for --ldflags?  Should options like -pie and -Wl,-z,relro really
appear there?  Or is this just a Debian packaging problem?

jwe

I don't know. Maybe pkg-config lists something better? On my ubuntu it lists exactly the same flags as gm-config, though. I'm not particularly good at this, but ld -Bsymbolic-functions seems like something one would only need while building gm itself.

David