Re: Unreliable OSX Builds

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Unreliable OSX Builds
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:11:48 +0200

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Joel LeBlanc<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm not nearly talented enough to get this thing built with any confidence.
>  For a while, I "fixed" something by adding "-L/sw/lib/fltk-aqua/lib
> -L/sw/lib/flex/lib -L/sw/lib -lfltk_gl -lfltk" to the configure statement
> (see my original post).
> It seems that autoconf is completely unaware that port and fink produce /opt
> and /sw folders that are highly likely to contain the libraries your gonna
> need.  I'd try to help, but seriously, my ineptitude in such matters is
> staggering ; )

> What worries me is that it won't build... regularly.

In the past few weeks, a lot of us experienced build problems, because
John was making major changes to the configuration part. I think it's
mostly settled, but if things still don't work for you, more tweaks
are probably needed. I hope you understand, though, that without OSX
users actually participating in development there's not much chance to
ensure flawless builds on OSX.

> It released without being able to be built.  How can this thing possibly be
> passing testing, and
> get to a released, if it won't even build?

Believe it or not, the release did build for a lot of people - in
fact, nobody reported a build failure, so that's why it was released.
Had you participated in the testing, you could have made a difference.

> It's too bad.  I'd really like to contribute to testing (I'm a power Matlab
> user), but I'm basically being left out.  Imagine the average Matlab user,
> they're not going to tweak configure flags.

So what?

> As a result, they'll never even
> have a chance to give feedback because it'll never build.
> I guess bringing it up in the forums (is this really a forum?), is the best
> way to start moving toward a fix.

Well, yes, but it's like "going out of your door is the best way to
start hiking". Someone needs to find out what's wrong, work out a fix,
make a patch and then apply it. I (and not just I) will gladly do the
last bit for you and possibly even assist you in the third one.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer