Re: terminology: handles, figures, objects, etc.

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: terminology: handles, figures, objects, etc.
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:44:59 +0300

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Michael D Godfrey
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I have seen (I think) graphics properties defined as
> graphics objects and graphics handles.  So, there
> seem to be 3 names in use: properties, objects, and
> handles.  I believe that properties or objects are the "things"
> and handles are the pointers.  In addition, the term index
> appears to mean the class of handles and figures.
>
> But, maybe their are other views.
>
> In any case, what is the official terminology?
> The choice seems to be between properties and
> objects.
>
> I plan to use the term Structures in titles which refer to sections
> dealing with handles, figures and their objects? OK?

My understanding is that we have objects which are "high-level"
constructs such as lines, axes, etc... The objects are reference by
their handle which is a unique identifier
Each of these objects has properties (i.e. lines have width, xdata, etc...)
so the "set(h,prop,val)" function sets the property "prop" of the
object refernced by the handle "h" to the value "val"

Shai