Re: gnulib and automake

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: gnulib and automake
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:26:29 +0100

John W. Eaton schrieb:
On 28-Oct-2009, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| on my Mac OS X 10.4 system I currently have two problems (sources still | compiling this night, don't know if there are further problems)... The first | thing is that in all subdirectories of libcruft eg. libcruft/amos etc. there | don't exist ".deps" directories and they also cannot be build on my system (I | currently have no idea what causes this or which command is doing this). The | error looks like this (without any further information about which command calls | "cp" or such) | | Making all in libcruft
|    cp: illegal option -- d
|    usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] src target
|           cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-pv] src1 ... srcN directory
|    mv: rename amos/#inst.16473# to amos/.deps: No such file or directory
|    /bin/sh: line 1: amos/.deps/.dirstamp: No such file or directory
|    make[2]: *** [amos/.deps/.dirstamp] Error 1
|    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
|    make: *** [all] Error 2
| | If I create all ".deps" directories by hand in all subdirectories of libcruft | then I also can make libcruft.

I suspect a libtool or automake problem.  What versions do you have?

Yesterday I installed the newest versions from both

  which libtool;  libtool  --version
  /usr/local/bin/libtool
  ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 2.2.6
  Written by Gordon Matzigkeit <address@hidden>, 1996

  which automake; automake --version
  /usr/local/bin/automake
  automake (GNU automake) 1.11

My build.log told me that compilation was successful last night but the Octave binary is broken - so the process stopped in the doc directory when trying to create the graphics files. I think that my mach-o/dyld interface is broken now, cf. my short Octave session

  bash$ ./run-octave --quiet
  error: unique: got NSObjectFileImageReturnCode 2
  error: called from:
  error: /Users/Thomas/Development/octave.am/scripts/set/unique.m at line 108,
  column 9
  error: /Users/Thomas/Development/octave.am/scripts/optimization/__all_opts__.m
  at line 56, column 11
  error: /Users/Thomas/Development/octave.am/scripts/optimization/PKG_ADD at
  line 1, column 0
  octave:1> which reshape
  `reshape' is a built-in function
  octave:2> which repmat
  `repmat' is a function from the file
  /Users/Thomas/Development/octave.am/scripts/general/repmat.m
  octave:3> which cellfun
  error: __which__: got NSObjectFileImageReturnCode 2
  error: called from:
  error: /Users/Thomas/Development/octave.am/scripts/help/which.m at line 27,
  column 7
  octave:3>

I think the easiest thing for me now would be that I change the configure.ac file and that I try to compile against dlopen instead of dyld...

  Thomas