Re: gnulib and automake

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: gnulib and automake
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:49:10 -0400

On 29-Oct-2009, John W. Eaton wrote:

| On 29-Oct-2009, Thomas Treichl wrote:
|
| | John W. Eaton schrieb:

| | > Does libtool try to use dyld by default?  How do you tell it to use
| | > dlopen instead?
| |
| | I'm not familiar with the details now (this was before your changes to
| | automake), but if I now change configure.ac like I already described here
| |
| |
http://www.nabble.com/Changeset-Mac:-Use-dlopen-instead-of-dyld-per-default-td25264111.html
| |
| | then I finally get this result from ./configure:
| |
| |    Do internal array bounds checking:  false
| |    Build static libraries:             false
| |    Build shared libraries:             true
| |    Dynamic Linking:                    true (dlopen)
| |    Include support for GNU readline:   true
| |    64-bit array dims and indexing:     false
| |
| | Per default (_without_ any changes at all) I get:
| |
| |    Do internal array bounds checking:  false
| |    Build static libraries:             false
| |    Build shared libraries:             true
| |    Dynamic Linking:                    true (dyld)
| |    Include support for GNU readline:   true
| |    64-bit array dims and indexing:     false
| |
| | So I expect that I'm doing everything correctly now, too?
|
| I would be surprised if this has any effect on the way .oct files are
| created now, because they are constructed with libtool (as described
| in the post that started this thread).  The configure script still has
| the code that sets up Octave's old shared-library creation variables,
| but they are no longer used to compile anything.  The plan is to
| remove this code from the configure script once mkoctfile has also
| been converted to use use libtool.

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood what the problem was.  Looking at your
patch (duh, should have done that before I replied the first time) it
doesn't change the way .oct files are created, but does change the way
they are opened, correct?  If so, then yes, please try this and see if
it works to use the dlopen interface to open the .oct files that are
created with libtool.  If so, then yes, I think this change should be
applied.

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion...