Re: Minimum requirements for new builds

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Minimum requirements for new builds
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:09:52 -0500

On 11-Nov-2009, Rik wrote:

| The file configure.ac contains checks for all three program versions.
| The real question is why they didn't assert a warning when you tried to
| compile with older versions.

Jaroslav did say that

  I tried with my system autoconf 2.61, automake 1.10 and libtool
  1.5.26 and build failed complaining that automake 1.11 is required.

So the test for autoconf succeeded and the one for automake generated
an error.  The problem with libtool happened because the older version
of libtool that he was using did not have LT_PREREQ or LT_INIT.  I
think my check for LT_INIT being undefined will help, but it would be
better if it could make the autogen process stop at the point of the
error instead of continuing on.