Re: Patches to enable MSVC compilation

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Patches to enable MSVC compilation
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 22:05:35 +0100

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 9:46 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  8-Dec-2009, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>
> | I don't think it make sense to continue submitting patches to
> | maintain MSVC compatibility.
>
> It's not like we are rejected every portability patch.  So I think it
> does make sense to continue submitting them so as to minimize the
> number of external patches you would have to maintain.
>
> I also don't see any reason not to put the required patches in a
> public place.  As I recall, there is nothing preventing people from
> building Octave with MSVC.  The problem is that we can't provide a
> binary distribution compiled with MSVC and linked with MSVC run-time
> libraries without violating the terms of the GPL.  But I have no
> objection to making it possible (and even relatively easy) for people
> to compile Octave with MSVC.  But there are limits, so if there is
> something that causes a lot of trouble for Octave maintenance, or
> would mean worse performance for all Octave users, then I'd rather not
> make the change, or at least it should be conditional in some way.
>
> I haven't looked closely at the patch, but would it be possible to
> have a conditional that allows us to integrate your changes to avoid
> the MSVC bug, but only for MSVC?

The problem is that an #ifdef would be needed at each call, which
means a workaround spread across a number of sources, and I think
that's not good.
Ummm. This problem would probably not exist if the Array class
hierarchy was more linear, so that the appliers could be parametrized
by value types rather than array types.

> jwe

Here's an idea: what about including the compatibility patches
directly in Octave's sources?

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer