Re: Organization of plots in the Manual

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Organization of plots in the Manual
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:22:55 -0800

>  On 12/15/2009 10:40 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> We could tag the code for each example and then include it in the
>> text, or build up the plotimages.m file from smaller parts that are
>> suitable for including directly in the manual.  Is the extra scripting
>> and Make magic necessary to do this job it worth the effort?
>>

> This is, I think, mainly up to you to decide the tradeoff.  Are there,
> or are there
> likely to be, plots in other parts of the Manual than plot.txi?  I do feel
> pretty strongly against duplicate copies of code or text.  Inevitably
> they get
> out of sync.
There are already other plots in the manual.  There are scripts for
plot.texi, geometry.texi, sparse.texi, and interp.texi.  In addition the
number of images is only going to grow.  A picture is worth a thousand
words and it is often easier to understand a plot routine from its
picture than from its description.  Currently, just a few of the plots
are visually documented but it would really help for some of the
lesser-used plot types such as rose, quiver, etc.

> Building plotimages.m from the txi sounds right, but I do not have a good
> idea about how to do that.
We currently process the .txi into .texis with munge-texi so we could
always add another command of our own for extracting the code.  On the
other hand, the documentation might get cluttered if every graph has a
sample image and the code to produce it.

--Rik