Re: compiling development sources on mac

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: compiling development sources on mac
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:57:12 -0500

On Dec 19, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Rob Mahurin wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 04:33:11PM -0500, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> In the event, it is helpful to you I'm attaching a shell script
>> which builds Octave for me on Mac OS 10.6. Octave builds without
>> complaint.
>
> Thanks.  When I get it working I will post a counterpart.

I thought I'd mention that I just discovered that I've been using autoconf 2.5
instead of the required 2.6+

Apparently there are some requirement/build-dependcies that are not checked as
I'd expected (no errors).

http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Minimum-requirements-for-new-builds-tt26305455.html#a26856298

        Automake >= 1.11
        Libtool >= 2.2.2
        Autoconf >= 2.6.0

My build process is currently very fragile. Don't be surprised if you find
something wrong with my scipt.

>> I use Fink for my dependencies. Fink uses gcc 4.4.2 when it
>> can. Since FLKT does not build with non-Apple compilers on Mac OSX,
>> Fink uses gcc 4.2.1 for FLTK. Mixing gcc 4.4.2 and 4.4.1 appears to
>> be a problem for me since libtool was added (I get a bus-error when
>> I try to run octave).
>
> I was seeing the same thing (trouble linking with the MacPorts fltk)
> but I was able to install fltk from source, built with the MacPorts
> compilers, and link it with octave-3.2.3.

If you're able to produce a working binary, please let me know which gcc you
use for FLTK? ... and what compiler are you use for the fortran dependencies.

Ben