Re: error: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 164, column 2

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: error: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 164, column 2
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:37:34 -0500

On Dec 27, 2009, at 7:35 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2009, at 6:12 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

>> 'txt');"
>> /Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/set/unique.m
>>
>> The only way I can see this happening is if text_yyinput returns 0,
>> which can only happen if yyinput returns 0, which should only be
>> possible if flex's internal buffer somehow has an ASCII nul character
>> in it.  I don't see how that can happen, and as I can't reproduce this
>> problem, you will need to do some debugging to see what the contents
>> of the flex buffer is and try to find out why it is incorrect.
>>
>> jwe
>
> At the moment I have no insight ... but I'll start studying the problem.
>
> Ben

The problem appears to be with Mac OSX's variant of flex.

        $ /usr/bin/flex --version
        flex 2.5.35

If I use an older version from Fink ...

        $ /sw/bin/flex --version
        flex version 2.5.4

... then the (ASCII 0) error/warnings are absent, but I need to edit lex.cc to
add "#include <config.h>".

I think the obvious next step is to independently build flex (version 2.5.35)
and try it. I'll look into creating a Fink package for that.

Ben