Re: thoughts about unwind_protect

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: thoughts about unwind_protect
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:10:23 +0100

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Marco Atzeri <address@hidden> wrote:
> --- Gio 7/1/10, Jaroslav Hajek ha scritto:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM,
>> Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

>> built
>> exit? Or the

>> is

>> --without-framework-opengl F77=gfortran-4 CXX=g++-4
>> CPP=cpp-4 CC=gcc-4 LDFLAGS=-no-undefined FLIBS=-lgfortran
>> lt_cv_deplibs_check_method=pass_all

>> but it seems not anymore available. However the absence is
>> detected,
>> false detection.
>> >>

>> > Why do you think FLTK has anything to do with this?
>> Does the problem
>> > vanish if you build with FLTK?
>
> Fltk is not working on cygwin, so I am skipping it.
> Before the automake change there was a switch to disable it
> and today is not available , if I am not wrong.
>
> I don't know if fltk is involved at all, but there was a
> similar fault reported and corrected about it
> https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009-December/014256.html

This was because __remove_fltk__ was not properly registered, I think.
I don't see how FLTK could be involved here, because you don't even
start the backend.

> Eventually there is a similar problem with another module,
> but which one ?
>

>> I just tried to build without FLTK, but can't reproduce the
>> crash.
>> Valgrind doesn't show anything. I'm afraid you'll have to
>> make
>> discover the source.
>
> I already identified the changeset, it starts to SIGSEV from
> changeset 9981  692ab4eaf965
>
> "clean up top-level variables when exiting Octave"
>
> before that I have no SIGSEV.

OK.

> Any idea how to further investigate ?

First rule out any package involvement (I suppose you already did).
Try ./run-octave -f. Then, if nothing works,
go to symbol_table::cleanup and start commenting out *from backwards*
the individual cleanup actions, until the problem vanishes.

hth
--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer