Re: [build] status on Mac OS X 10.6.2

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: [build] status on Mac OS X 10.6.2
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 21:49:27 -0500

On Jan 9, 2010, at 12:21 AM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

> The attached file documents the steps that
> led to a reasonably functional install on my
> MacBook Pro running OS X 19.6.2.
>
> The remaining work of installing additional packages
> should be pretty straightforward.
>
> Aside from boring things like sed and flex, the somewhat
> surprising problem was that none of the available
> Fortran compilers worked reliably with -O2 (actually
> I changed all of the compiler options from -O2 to -O0
> so the C and C++ compilers could also be at fault).
>
> For now I plan to leave the optimization set to -O0.
> When things are more settled will be good to try -O2
> again.
>
> Michael
>
> <Octave_install_8_Jan_2010.txt>

As a follow up to Michael's experience, I've documented my experience using the
Fink package manager to satisfy the dependencies.

I've changed the subject, as my approach does not presently result in
installing octave.

Ben

p..s I've cc'd Alexander Hansen, who is Fink's package maintainer for Octave.
Alex, I thought this would be of interest to you.