Re: Request for comments: help texts

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: Request for comments: help texts
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:54:30 +0100

Olaf Till wrote:
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 03:57:57PM +0100, David Grundberg wrote:
Function declarations inside script files: Theoretically we could
make 'help f' return "help for f", but I don't think it is worth
supporting.  Therefore:

help filename: undocumented
help f: undocumented

Maybe your changes won't touch this at all, but after the script is
run so that these functions are defined as "command-line function",
their individual help-texts should be available provided they were
written as the first block _within_ the function body. This seems to
be the way functions defined on the command line are now treated.

Olaf

I see. I didn't know of this feature. It's present on the tip too.

While I accept it, I don't understand why this feature is present, other than as a side-effect. I don't see any use for having help texts in these function declarations. Package writers should create proper function files.

David

PS: Olaf, your email address drops when I use 'reply all', why is that?