Re: Logos proposal

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Logos proposal
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 22:25:03 +0200

On 6/8/10 5:56 PM, Soren Hauberg wrote:
If you go to

   http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/about.html

you will see the following text:

         "
         Just about everyone thinks that the name Octave has something to
         do with music, but it is actually the name of one of the
         author's former professors who wrote a famous textbook on
         chemical reaction engineering, and who was also well known for
         his ability to do quick "back of the envelope" calculations. We
         hope that this software will make it possible for many people to
         do more ambitious computations just as easily.
         "

I think it would be a nice reference to the origin of the name "Octave"
if the logo actually included something that looks a bit like "back of
the envelope" calculations.

Anyway, those where just a few thoughts...

Soren
This definitely relevant.  And, this logo should be thought of as probably
permanent, so some careful thought should be applied. The first three examples are, I think, OK. But, they do not immediately convey an important message, as
above.

Let's give this serious thought. I will try to think of something to propose, but so should everyone else. providing the winning logo should be considered to be
a substantial accomplishment.

Finally, I think that John should be the final judge.

Michael