manual translation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: manual translation
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:35:20 -0400

[When replying to something from a mailing list digest, please burst
the digest and reply to an individual message so that the subject and
threading is preserved.]

On 10-Jun-2010, Jonas Xavier wrote:

| Hi everybody. About the books with Octave's examples, my idea is translate the
| "GNU Octave Manual". I'm reading the book, but a large number of peoples don't
| understand English. Here in Brazil, the Matlab is the most used because have
| docs in Portuguese.  The Wikipedia has a project of open books, called
| Wikibooks, is a good begin, and the Wikibooks has a powerful community.

Much of the manual is generated automatically from the docstrings for
individual functions, so it would make sense to translate those
separately and for Octave to have some way to use those translations,
and to know when the original text has changed so that the translation
can be flagged as needing to be updated.

Haven't we discussed this before?  Is there something in Octave Forge
related to this?