Freenode #octave channel

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Freenode #octave channel
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:03:25 -0500

I spend a good portion of my days hanging out in Freenode's IRC
channels chatting, because I'm a chatty person. There's an #octave
channel in there that's mostly languishing, and I'd like to take it
over. Freenode policy, however, requires there to be a group
registration and an "official" contact from the organisation that's
behind a particular project.

The details are here:

     http://freenode.net/group_registration.shtml

Executive summary: "Someone official" (probably jwe) has to fill out
this boring form:

     http://freenode.net/group_registration_form.php

Since I think I'm the only here one who hangs out in Freenode (for
now?), I think I'm a reasonable choice as primary contact. I'm happy
to provide my personal contact details privately in that case, which
Freenode requires.

A nice option would be to embed a webchat in the webpage attached to
this IRC channel so that people can get faster feedback on Octave. I
don't know if the list signing-up process slows down people who want
to get help, but probably at least a few have balked at that.