Re: Logos proposal

From: Fotios Kasolis
Subject: Re: Logos proposal
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:50:38 +0200

On Jun 14, 2010, at 8:54 PM, Ben Barrowes wrote:

> On Monday 14 June 2010 14:16:07 Fotios Kasolis wrote:

>>> Could you sketch or draw sth to give an example of what you are thinking
>>> in terms of the text?
>>
>> For example:
>
> This is nice and could be flexible. The exact choice for the o-c-t-a-v-e
> could change under
> different circumstances while still conveying the same message of Octave.
> Maybe instead of waves,
> some interpretation on \infty.
>
> A few questions on the other icons: Is the tilted \infty meant to be an
> reference to the numeral
> eight or to infinity? Most associate the octave => 8 => music, but perhaps it
> is unavoidable? Why
> the folded back part of the circle? Any meaning there? Could someone explain
> icon 1 to me?
>
> We are either not going to have another shot at a logo/icon or the next shot
> will be years in the
> future. How do we get the vision and future of Octave into the logo and make
> a distinct logo with a
> compelling story?
>
> Perhaps we could embrace the 8 part of octave, while not embracing the music
> part of its etymology.
> Some way to portray the infinity symbol in a simple yet memorable way could
> be the icon, while
> different plots or other things could be put inside the circles in different
> circumstances for
> various appropriate logos. In this sense, just the infinity by itself
> (rotation?) written in an
> interesting way (the IBM logo comes to mind), or the infinity getting thicker
> on the rhs or similar
> could be an idea. I am not an artist or I would send sketches.

1) The rotated 8 or \infty is there to say two things: (a) I m mathematical
software (\infty) (b) my name is phonetically related to 8.
2) The folded part is just for decoration reasons and to get the shadow on the
logo which creates this nice fictitious 3d effect.
3) Explanation icon 1: Console + basic Octave symbols placed in a nice
symmetric (meaningless) way (nothing clever) + glossy effect + 0s and 1s.
4) I do not see why most people associate 8 with music and not with octopus
(for example!). We can see it as a nice phonetic convention/game.
5) Octopus could be the mascot we were searching for btw (just to make it even
more confusing)!
6) I think you overestimate the meaning of a logo (and especially that of an
application icon).

"How do we get the vision and future of Octave...compelling story."

We simply do not. We do not know the future we just hope for the best. The
vision is strongly supported by Octave itself. After all an application icon
will give visual identity (since people like that) to Octave and nothing more
(the way i see it ofc).
6+1/2) It is the same thing like a GUI, you do not need it but it is nice to
have the choice (Octave will survive without it! it is visual promotion).
7) When talking about application icon you should keep in mind that small scale
details will be transformed to ugly noise (like icon 7) when you change the
size. It must be simple, and clean, like 1 or 6.