Re: Logos proposal

From: Ben Barrowes
Subject: Re: Logos proposal
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:01:40 -0400

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 16:27:56 Judd Storrs wrote:
> IMHO the first one that Fotios posted in the white on black logos
> seems to have the best sense of space and the use of bold feels
> balanced (although there are some small kernings that could help... I
> feel like I want to separate the O and the C by a fraction of a hair).
> It also seems to be eminently readable without an advanced degree even
> though the T is disturbed and \forall was used as an upside down A. To
> me, the set-looking \mathbb{O} could be construed to resonate with the
> oft mentioned idea that Octave is a superset language, \forall seems
> to be a statement of inclusiveness or target audience, and the
> \nu-looking V could be interpreted as a hint at the presence of the
> GNU project. Just my 2c.
>

> --judd

It would be nice to keep the \infty somehow, possibly in the background.
However, notice that the
combination of O anc C almost comprise an infinity symbol. Any way to combine
them enough to result
in a dual purpose combination? To be read both as OC and as an \infty depending
on how you look at
it. It also helps that the super T sets of the OC before it already.

FWIW, I like the forall, making sense to both those who know what it means and
those who don't but
can still see it is meant to stand for an A.

The e is the last letter to have a special purpose. Eaton comes to mind. Any
way to make an
attribution here?