Re: grammar check

From: Rik
Subject: Re: grammar check
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:36:37 -0700

Ben Abbott wrote:

> I noticed your grammar check patch.
>
>       http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/fbd7843974fa
>
> Do you have a script for checking grammar?
Indeed I do.  I'm dedicated, but not dedicated enough to want to
periodically read all of Octave's documentation.

The script is written in Perl which seems fine since this is a
developer-only tool and won't need to be distributed.  I've been trying to
get it into proper shape so that I can commit it along with some
instructions on use.  Before I get there, however, I need to add some
exception handling mechanism and a dictionary of exceptions.  No matter how
smart the code is, there are always some cases where the grammar rules
shouldn't be applied.  I also have a spellcheck dictionary of exceptions
for Octave.

The current grammar rule set is:
   #Rule: Use Texinfo @dots macro instead of 3 periods
   #Rule: TeX, LaTeX should appear using macro to produce desired symbol
   #Rule: MATLAB and other package names should use small caps macro
   #Rule: Commas surrounding Latin abbreviations such as i.e.
   #Rule: Hyphenate following terms:
   #Rule: non-negative, one-dimensional, [xyz]-axis
   #Rule: Capitalize Cartesian
   #Rule: No line break in middle of environment variable
   #Rule: Sentences must begin with period and *two* spaces
   #Rule: Sentences must start with two spaces but not 3
   #Rule: Space between return value of function and equality sign
   #Rule: No double space between equality sign and input arguments
   #Rule: Eliminate words repeated twice in succession
   #Rule: Double spaces between words are typos
   #Rule: Images should be centered, 4 inches wide
   #Rule: Examples larger than 1 line should use @group
   #Rule: Examples greater than $max_group_lines should not be grouped
   #Rule: to allow TeX to find a reasonable page break
   #Rule: @iftex followed by @tex blocks simplified to just @tex

--Rik