Re: rewrite of structs - advice sought

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: rewrite of structs - advice sought
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:42:13 -0400

On 23-Jun-2010, CdeMills wrote:

| While you are at it, could you consider the following problem ?
|
| When manipulating real data, in most of the cases they have a meaning. For
| instance, a matrix of measurement contains voltages in the first column,
| frequencies in the second, capacitance in the third, current in the fourth,
| and so on. The closest and simplest mapping is thus array of struct, but
| currently saving and loading of ascii files don't cope automatically with a
| first line of field names. Writing a small script in order to handle this
| case is not that complicated, but is slower. May I suggest enhancing the
| basic load and save operation, implementing something similar to R data
| frame, which are:
|   A data frame, a matrix-like structure whose columns may be of differing
| types (numeric, logical, factor and character and so on).
|
| Basically, load and save should try to return a structure array in case of a
| first non-comment line of fields name, a matrix if all values are of similar
| types, and an error code otherwise ?

Feel free to enter a feature request in the bug tracker, but please
remember that Octave is developed by volunteers and you may have to
provide some additional incentive to get someone interested in working
on a particular project.

Also, we have compatibility with Matlab (not R) to consider.  Perhaps
it would be best if someone were to write a function for Octave that
is compatible with Matlab's importdata function.