Re: obscure code features?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: obscure code features?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:04:29 +0200

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
hi all,

I'm asking about a couple of particular features. Perhaps someone
(John, David) will be able to answer at least some of the questions

1. A number of octave_value extractors take a bool parameter
frc_str_conv (e.g. double_value). Certain other extractors don't (such
as int8_value).
Except forwarding, it doesn't seem to be actually used anywhere. What
the heck is/was it good for?
I think this is just cruft that is left-over from when these extractors had a boolean parameter, in most cases to suppress error messages during type conversions. The arguments seem to have been kept to preserve the API, though are no longer used. As far as I can see they have been used for a long time and most be probably be deleted.

2. convert_to_str, convert_to_str_internal - what are these for? Can't
string_value/char_matrix_value be used?

This stuff all pre-dates when I started hacking Octave. I just lived with it.

3. why does octave_char_matrix exist at all? (I think I might have
already asked this before, but I'm not sure)
I thought the octave_char_matrix existed, to do whitespace filling at the end of lines for cases like ["Short String", "Very Very Very Very Long String"], as that is what the other brand does. This is convenient to do in an array type.

4. The pad parameter to all_strings is not used anywhere. What is/was
it for? Can it be removed? Without that, all_strings could simply call
cellstr_value.
Not sure, but it might have been related to point 3 in the passed.

Regards
David