Re: fltk printing [changest]

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: fltk printing [changest]
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:48:31 -0400

On Aug 1, 2010, at 10:01 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2010, at 4:46 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> As usual, its not so simple. The when outputting in PDF format, GL2PS
>>> does not respect text alignment, so all labels are placed wrong. If
>>> someone has a little PDF knowledge, this could probably be fixed in
>>> GL2PS.

>>> This is also not supported by GL2PS, but I will try to implement it,
>>> at least for ps and maybe for eps
>>>
>>> Shai
>>
>> I've been studying ghostscript and am now able to use the eps file from
>> GL2PS to produce Matlab compatible PS and PDF output in portrait. I hope to
>> manage landscape as well.
>>
>> I like this solution, but let me know what you're thoughts are.
>>
>> For the SVG/PGF/TEX output, I think GL2PS is the best option.
>>
>> Ben
>
> I've got the landscape part working, and have attached a changeset for those
> interested in testing it.
>
> I still need to remove debug code (turned on by "-debug") and improve the
> documentation prior to committing.
>
> Output devices that (should) work now are ....
>
> eps, epsc, eps2, epsc2, ps, ps2, psc, psc2, jpg, png, pbm, tiff, aifm, dxf,
> emf, fig hpgl, pstex, and mf.
>
> Devices not yet supported are ...
>
> epslatex, epslatexstandalone, pslatex, svg, tikz
>
> The first three need support for GL2PS_TEX, and the last two require
> GL2PS_SVG, GL2PS_PGF, respectively.
>
> Ben

I've pushed a changeset.

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/d5a7db05d591

There are two "features" I'm aware of.

(1) Cropping the EPS files produces by GL2PS removes the axis and tick labels.
This can be seen by adding the -tight option to the print command.
(2) Appending PS files from GL2PS mangles the fonts.

I don't have a solution for (1). For (2) a PS wrapper can be used.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/PostScript_FAQ#How_to_concatenate_several_PS_files.3F

That solution looks messy to me. Is there a better way?

In addition to adding the PS and PDF output, I've included several bitmap
devices that are supported by Matlab. This was a trivial change since
ghostscript does all the work.

As I mentioned above, support of GL2PS_TEX, GL2PS_SVG, GL2PS_PGF still needs to
be included by someone more skilled, than myself,  in c/c++. Until that happens
the effected devices (epslatex, epslatexstandalone, pslatex, svg, tikz), will
produce eps output.

Ben