Re: Matlab compatible legends for FLTK/Gnuplot backends?

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: Matlab compatible legends for FLTK/Gnuplot backends?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:34:09 +0000 (GMT)

On 07 Sep, 2010,at 04:56 PM, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

bpabbott wrote:
> On 07 Sep, 2010,at 03:24 PM, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I see three choices
> >
> > 1) Revert your code as you suggest
> > 2) Special case gnuplot in the legend function and calculate the key
> > position from the outerposition value
> > 3) Get the updating of the position from the outerposition and
> > visa-versa working in the front-end
> >
> > The first option is easy, but a step backwards, the second option is a
> > bad idea as it introduces a dependence on the backend in the frontend
> > code, and the third seems to be a large job. I'd be happy with either 1)
> > or 3), but probably don't have the time to do 3) myself as I think it'll
> > be a lot of trial and error and probably needs acces to matlab to test
> > that the implementation is right.
> >
> > D.
>
> If we do 1), I think should to go with 2) as well (and vice versa). There isn't
> a necessarily a need to introduce backend info in the frontend, since the
> properties could be parsed to produce the proper legend in Gnuplot ... well,
> provided the handles for the objects in the legend are listed in the properties
> of the legend axis.
>
> Overall, I think 3) is the best solution.
>
> I've studied the problem quite a bit and am willing to support someone working
> on it, but I'm not the right person to take the lead.
>
> For now, I think it best to revert my outerposition changeset.
>
> *If* it is decided to do 1)+2) both the outerposition code and the
> gnuplot-legend code can be reintroduced into the Gnuplot backend at the same time.
>
> Ben

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by 1)+2). Since the
legends are being displayed so well with my legend code and the gnuplot
backend, as long as the activepositionproperty of the axis is
"position", I'm now thinking its better to remove the gnuplot legend
code entirely and use the same frontend legend code for all of the
backends. This just means the FreeType and fontconfig are required for
the gnuplot backend as well as they are used to estimate the text
extents in gnuplot... The current text extents code in Octave estimates
pretty well the text extents in gnuplot, at least with the wxt and x11
terminals I've tested with.

D.

ah-ha ... I just reread 2). I misunderstood it the first time I read it. Sorry for the confusion.

Ben